Saturday 26 August 2017

August 2017- What has happened,

I have to admit I am glad this month is over. It has been an extremely difficult month and very emotional for us as a family as my brother in law died unexpectedly at the beginning of the month. It has been made worse by the fact that cause of death has not yet been established and it was 3 weeks before we could have the funeral. Craig took the death rather badly as he was the one who found him and he blames himself for not making his brother get help sooner. I am not going to go into detail because it is a personal family matter but my brother in law had demons to contend with and unfortunately they got the better of him.  His death really hit every one hard and I have been trying my best to keep home life as normal as possible for the kids but also for Craig to help him come to terms with everything. I have also been having to deal with some of the more practical arrangements that need to be done when somebody dies as the rest of the family relied on Craig to sort everything out and there were times when it was too difficult for him.
In remembrance of his brother Craig got his very first tattoo. His brothers, sister and girlfriend also got Superman themed tattoos as well.


Stephen was an extremely funny man who missed his calling in life. His funeral was attended by over 400 people and the family were determined that there was going to be as much laughter as possible as that is what Stephen would have wanted, and there was certainly that. I had a lot of comments saying that it was the best funeral people had been to which I know sounds terrible but in my opinion a funeral should be a celebration of the life and Stephen was the entertainer and comedian in everyone’s  life which was reflected in the funeral and the wake afterwards. I was lucky that one of the guys I work with is an artist and cartoonist and I asked him to do the front cover of the Order of Service with Stephen as Superman flying over Old Trafford Football Ground. These were his two main passions and you could not say anything bad about either  Christopher Reeve as Superman or Manchester United in front of him.

Stephen’s death was also hard on Emma and Matthew. I was thankful that Emma went away on the Sunday that he died for 2 weeks.  She went to Cyprus with her boyfriend and his family. She sent this picture of the view from a restaurant she ate at to make us jealous. It helped having something to distract her.

 For Matthew it was his first experience of death and he was upset at the time he found out and at the funeral. He renamed his most powerful Pokemon, Stephen, in tribute to his Uncle.  
To try and cheer him up we went to Cadbury World. I have been a number of times when I was teaching but this was the 1st time I had taken Matthew. We also took my niece who’s birthday wasn’t quite as she had hoped because of what happened. Both of them absolutely loved it. I loved the free chocolate you got (though it didn’t do any good for my weight loss) but a lot hadn’t changed from when I went the last time and the bits that had weren’t as good in my opinion.. The 4D experience was fantastic though and on a par with anything Disney could offer and that was my favourite  part.  Videos and photos are not allowed during the tour and experience so memories are all we have except for these photos I took outside.




I haven’t really felt creative this month but I did go to the WI craft club and we made fabric bookmarks. As soon as I saw this fabric I just knew that I had to make them for the kids.




Now that the funeral is over and there is nothing more to be done I am hoping to be able to get to be more crafty and back into a routine for blogging. have loads of projects that I want to do, the most important thing being 2 advent calendars for my nephews. I need to get them done by the middle of September as my Mum is going to visit and I am hoping she will take them over to save postage but also I will know they have got there.

I am rather looking forward to September, a visit to Legoland, the start of the new school year, mine and Matthew's birthdays and it always feels like a fresh start for me so bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment