Thursday 14 April 2016

Learning to Quilt

The W.I I belong to has a quilting club which runs every fortnight. After my first attempt at making a cushion from a kit I decided that I wanted to make a quilt but using as many different styles of blocks as I could to get some variety. So far things aren't going to badly, though the blocks are not perfect I am quite happy with the way things are going. I will be making a few of each style of block to hopefully improve my technique the more practice I get.



This was the first block and I have made a couple more of these since then


 The one that is only half is now completed


The next one I made is known as a log cabin


So far, I have only made one of these.

I decided next to make a windmill, which has caused me no end of problems, attaching the pieces together in the right place, but after two sessions and lots of unpicking I finally got there.



As I go away with work and often have nothing better to do in the evenings I wanted to be able to do some hand sewing. Although I have a cross stitch that I am working on at the craft club I wanted to have a go at English paper piece quilting as I can do that when my eyes are too tired to focus on the same cross stitch stitches. I bought a magazine which included some of the hexagon shapes and some fabric samples and did this


This flower I will probably just put on a backing fabric and include in the sample quilt but I am intending on making a throw for a chair with lots more of these.

I know that I still have a long way to go and I don't have the natural sewing ability that some of the other members of the group seem to have but it's like the old saying 'Practice makes perfect' and I hope to get in plenty of practice.



No comments:

Post a Comment